Majority Support Social Network Blackout in Future Riots
Two-thirds of people surveyed in the U. K. support the temporary shutdown of services such as Twitter and Facebook in future riots in order to stem the spread of unrest.
What's the Latest Development?
A poll of 973 Britons found that 70% supported the shutdown of Twitter, Facebook and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) during periods of social unrest such as the riots in England this summer. Freedom of expression campaigners expressed fears about this willingness to sanction "draconian measures as ever more services shift online... These kinds of actions would weaken the UK's position against authoritarian regimes who censor internet access."
What's the Big Idea?
The Guardian's analysis of 2.5m tweets relating to the riots found scant evidence that Twitter had been used to instigate unrest. The BBM network, however, is believed to have played a role. The Index on Censorship said most of the social network use involved people sharing information, particularly on how to get home safely.
The famed author headed to the pond thanks to Indian philosophy.
- The famed author was heavily influenced by Indian literature, informing his decision to self-exile on Walden Pond.
- He was introduced to these texts by his good friend's father, William Emerson.
- Yoga philosophy was in America a century before any physical practices were introduced.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
A little goes a long way.
- A recent study from the Department of Health and Human Services found that 80 percent of Americans don't exercise enough.
- Small breaks from work add up, causing experts to recommend short doses of movement rather than waiting to do longer workouts.
- Rethinking what exercise is can help you frame how you move throughout your day.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.