Luxury Pop-Up Hotels Land Somewhere Between Camp and Resort
Hoteliers in Europe are creating here-this-week-gone-next-week accommodations for travelers who want the convenience of a camp but the amenities of a resort.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What’s the Latest Development?
Several entrepreneurial European hoteliers have hit upon the idea of a “pop-up hotel”: It’s just like a pop-up restaurant in that it’s only around for a very short time, but it’s put together at the site of a major event or other tourist attraction and provides guests with accommodations that are unique, convenient, and top-notch. Travelers looking for something other than the typical luxury resort stay have responded eagerly, and plans are underway to spread the concept – known as “glamping,” short for “glamorous camping” – throughout Europe and elsewhere.
What’s the Big Idea?
The success of the pop-up hotel reflects today’s financially shaky landscape. According to Patrick Mayock, editor-in-chief of HotelNewsNow.com, the question developers are asking is: “Do I take the risk and build a hotel for two years when demand might not be there?" While the ability to quickly assemble and dismantle properties saves both time and money, amenities not only must be present (plumbing, power); they must be first-rate. It’s supposed to be glamorous camping, after all. As Karen Friebe, a partner at DLA Piper UK, states, “Who is going to want to stay in an uncomfortable freight container just for the experience? It must have fantastic sheets and a great TV screen.”
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.