Louis CK: The Immoral Moralist
Despite the irreverence of the nation's new favorite comic, Louis often discusses essential moral lessons through what he has experienced as a father, parent and divorcée.
What's the Latest Development?
Comic's comic turned nation's comic, Louis CK is everywhere these days, making audiences laugh and cringe with his tales of moral adventure. Marriage, fatherhood and divorce inform the majority of his matured routine, where every corner of family life exudes irreverence. Consider his moral litmus test: "You can figure out how bad a person you are by how soon after September 11 you masturbated," he riffs. "For me, it was between the two buildings’ going down." Yet behind this affront to ascetic virtue lies a comic concerned with today's moral dilemmas and the roads they carry us down.
What's the Big Idea?
It is Louis' willingness to expose the hidden side of humanity—our doubts, fears and moral faults—that give his moral lessons potency. Louis wants to be a good husband, father and citizen precisely because morality presents us with a challenge: To find our better selves for the sake of others. At a poignant moment in his latest show on FX, Louis is confronted by a friend who declares his intention to commit suicide, i.e. to take 'his own' life. Louis responds: "It’s not your life. It’s life … Life isn’t something you possess. It’s something you take part in, and you witness.”
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.