'Lost World' Discovered in Antarctica
Communities of species previously unknown to science have been discovered on the seafloor near Antarctica, clustered in the hot, dark environment surrounding hydrothermal vents.
What's the Latest Development?
For the first time ever, scientists have explored the East Scotia Ridge deep beneath the Southern Ocean, discovering a trove of new species including a yeti crab, starfish, barnacles, sea anemones—even an octopus. Vents on the sea floor spewing water from beneath the surface reach temperatures of over 700 degrees Fahrenheit, providing for an environment rich in chemicals though lacking in sunlight. Rather than take energy from the sun, these species breakdown chemical compounds like hydrogen sulphide.
What's the Big Idea?
Scientists were as surprised by what they found as what they didn't find. Many animals such as tubeworms, mussels, crabs and shrimp found near vents in other oceans were not present in the Southern Ocean. Leader of the research, Alex Rogers of Oxford University, commented on the diversity found in the world's oceans. "Everywhere we look, whether it is in the sunlit coral reefs of tropical waters or these Antarctic vents shrouded in eternal darkness, we find unique ecosystems that we need to understand and protect."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.