Lose Weight, Collect Payment
"Could financial incentives that encourage fat people to lose weight solve the obesity crisis?" Experiments in paying people to lose weight have met with success in the U.S. and U.K.
"Could financial incentives that encourage fat people to lose weight solve the obesity crisis?" Experiments in paying people to lose weight have met with success in the U.S. and U.K. "'Nothing to date has been effective, so suddenly this idea is coming to prominence—in parallel with the rise of behavioural economics and the notion of incentivising people with money,' says Theresa Marteau of King’s College London, a leading authority on financial incentives and health. The concept is not only applicable to obesity. Harvard University is running a large trial offering rewards for school attendance. And in Britain, new laws have created financial rewards for installing green energy in homes and businesses."
Scientists have developed new ways of understanding how the biological forces of death drive important life processes.
- Researchers have found new ways on how decomposing plants and animals contribute to the life cycle.
- After a freak mass herd death of 300 reindeer, scientists were able to study a wide range of the decomposition processes.
- Promoting the necrobiome research will open up new areas of inquiry and even commerce.
What do we see from watching birds move across the country?
- A total of eight billion birds migrate across the U.S. in the fall.
- The birds who migrate to the tropics fair better than the birds who winter in the U.S.
- Conservationists can arguably use these numbers to encourage the development of better habitats in the U.S., especially if temperatures begin to vary in the south.
Explore how alcohol affects your brain, from the first sip at the bar to life-long drinking habits.
- Alcohol is the world's most popular drug and has been a part of human culture for at least 9,000 years.
- Alcohol's effects on the brain range from temporarily limiting mental activity to sustained brain damage, depending on levels consumed and frequency of use.
- Understanding how alcohol affects your brain can help you determine what drinking habits are best for you.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.