Lisa Randall Explains the Cosmos
Following up on her first book, renowned physicist Lisa Randall's newest work explores the cosmos, from the atoms being smashed at the L.H.C. to physicists' search for dark matter.
What's the Latest Development?
In Lisa Randall's newest book, Knocking on Heaven's Door, the renowned physicist explains where the frontiers of science currently rest. Thanks to the Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest particle accelerator that smashes atoms together at unfathomable energies, the debates between theorists and experimenters have never been more lively. "That is because everyone realizes these interactions are essential with these challenging experiments to get to the right answers," says Randall. In the book, she also discusses the experimental status of dark matter.
What's the Big Idea?
Randall goes a step beyond explaining the current state of scientific advance. She shares the principles that underlie the methods of researchers across the scientific spectrum. "The ideas that underlie science are critical to rational thinking in general and should be widely known, even by those silly few who don’t care about any specific science research topic," she writes. Randall believes that if more people understood the base on which science operates, there would be less confusion and vitriol in many of today's political debates. Finally, Randall asks after the role of creativity in science.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.