Life An "Uncaused Accident"
"The pieces of our universe fell into the places where they are, not because of a guiding hand and a grand design, but through mere accident," says physicist Victor Stenger.
Physicist Victor Stenger says "The Grand Design", written by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, deserves its position on the bestseller list but should have been called, "The Grand Accident". "Some reviewers have criticized The Grand Design for basing its case on the highly speculative M-theory. Actually, even without M-theory the alternate histories of Feynman together with cosmological models...are sufficient to provide a purely natural, non-causal explanation for the existence of our universe and our place in it. M-theory or no M-theory, the pieces of our universe fell into the places where they are, not because of a guiding hand and a grand design, but through mere accident."
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.