Lack of Authority Behind Lawlessness in U.K.
From Scotland, Stuart Waiton claims that not only has there been a lack of policing and assertion of authority shown by police in the recent U.K. riots, that's been the case for years.
What's the Latest Development?
From Scotland, youth charity director and criminologist Stuart Waiton says its the impotent approach taken by police that has helped encourage the U.K.'s copycat riots. "Consequently, a relatively minor event in London that could and should have easily been nipped in the bud has escalated."
What's the Big Idea?
Waiton says that what has helped create a "disconnected and self-absorbed group of youngsters" is the undermining of adult authority and the "more patronising and morally vacuous self-esteem obsessed approach of authorities and educationalists." "Coupled with a confused and impotent police force, the result has been mayhem," he claims.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.