Organizers of this summer's World Cup in South Africa have not done enough to accommodate the local population and have been insensitive to local traditions.
Organizers of this summer's World Cup in South Africa have not done enough to accommodate the local population and have been insensitive to local traditions. "In May 2002, the Federation of International Football Associations decided to rotate the hosting of the World Cup tournament to a different continent every year. Football, or soccer, as it is known across the Atlantic, is the most popular sport in Africa and many of the continent's brightest players are in European leagues. It was therefore rather appropriate that Africa was chosen to host the 2010 tournament. South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt bid for the tournament but it became clear early on that South Africa - endowed with stable infrastructure and which has hosted a number of successful international tournaments in the past decade - was going to be chosen."
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Rediscovering the principles of self-actualisation might be just the tonic that the modern world is crying out for.
Abraham Maslow was the 20th-century American psychologist best-known for explaining motivation through his hierarchy of needs, which he represented in a pyramid. At the base, our physiological needs include food, water, warmth and rest.
"I was so moved when I saw the cells stir," said 90-year-old study co-author Akira Iritani. "I'd been hoping for this for 20 years."
- The team managed to stimulate nucleus-like structures to perform some biological processes, but not cell division.
- Unless better technology and DNA samples emerge in the future, it's unlikely that scientists will be able to clone a woolly mammoth.
- Still, studying the DNA of woolly mammoths provides valuable insights into the genetic adaptations that allowed them to survive in unique environments.
Does believing in true love make people act like jerks?
- Ghosting, or cutting off all contact suddenly with a romantic partner, is not nice.
- Growth-oriented people (who think relationships are made, not born) do not appreciate it.
- Destiny-oriented people (who believe in soulmates) are more likely to be okay with ghosting.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.