Organizers of this summer's World Cup in South Africa have not done enough to accommodate the local population and have been insensitive to local traditions.
Organizers of this summer's World Cup in South Africa have not done enough to accommodate the local population and have been insensitive to local traditions. "In May 2002, the Federation of International Football Associations decided to rotate the hosting of the World Cup tournament to a different continent every year. Football, or soccer, as it is known across the Atlantic, is the most popular sport in Africa and many of the continent's brightest players are in European leagues. It was therefore rather appropriate that Africa was chosen to host the 2010 tournament. South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt bid for the tournament but it became clear early on that South Africa - endowed with stable infrastructure and which has hosted a number of successful international tournaments in the past decade - was going to be chosen."
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.