Joseph Stiglitz's Deficit Reduction Plan
Analytically, the task of deﬁcit reduction is simple: cutting expenditures and raising \r\ntaxes, says Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz in his plan to reduce long-term budget deficits.
In the next few weeks, the United States will be focused on deﬁcit reduction. Analytically, the task of deﬁcit reduction is simple: cu!ing expenditures and raising taxes. Politically, the task of deﬁcit reduction is enormously difficult, for each cut in expenditure or increase in taxes hurts someone, and typically, some powerful group. ... What matters is not the deﬁcit itself or the short-run national debt, but long-run levels of the national debt. The country should be looking at its national balance sheet. Debt reﬂects only the liability side. In assessing the economic strength of a ﬁrm, no one would look just at its liabilities; they would also look at its assets. The single-minded focus on deﬁcits and short-run debt is thus fundamentally misguided.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.