James Dyson: Good Engineering Is Essential
The British inventor says that from an engineering point of view, it is much more challenging to sell machines for their smallness than for their largeness, but that is the challenge of his work.
What's the Latest Development?
Calling a product 'green' has become a powerful marketing tool. But all too often, says British inventor James Dyson, such environmental claims are a gimmick hidden behind lazy engineering. Perhaps best known for his Dyson vacuum cleaner, Dyson says most companies simply install smaller motors into mechanical devices and then make energy-saving claims. "At up to 120,000 revolutions-per-minute, [Dyson's digital motor] runs at up to four times the speed of conventional copper-and-brushes designs, and is twice as efficient."
What's the Big Idea?
Dyson does not believe an engineering revolution is necessary for manufacturers to create cleaner, more efficient products. Simply using durable materials and interesting people in engineering will naturally facilitate the development of better machines. The inventor says government regulation is essential to encourage industry to become more efficient and that, to compete with emerging Asian countries, the US desperately needs a new generation of engineers. Due to price pressures from Asia, innovative engineering has become essential.
Photo credit: wikimedia commons
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.