Italian Women Robbed of Dignity?
Even if Berlusconi leaves the soon, he will leave behind a toxic legacy, one in which the media cynically undermine democratic norms and women have been robbed of their dignity.
Even if Berlusconi leaves the soon, he will leave behind a toxic legacy. Italy has never had a puritanical culture, but under the influence of Berlusconi's media, the country has become positively shameless. Italy once had a thriving feminist movement. But instead of moving to the near equality that women now enjoy in the rest of Western Europe, in Italy the process stopped — or rather, was pushed off course. There are certainly underlying sociological causes — not least, the influence of the Roman Catholic Church -- but the crass populism of Berlusconi's TV programming played an undeniably large role.
No, the Syrian civil war is not over. But it might be soon. Time for a recap
- The War in Syria has dropped off the radar, but it's not over (yet)
- This 1-minute video shows how the fronts have moved – and stabilised – over the past 22 months
- Watching this video may leave you both better informed, and slightly queasy: does war need a generic rock soundtrack?
Sarco assisted suicide pods come in three different styles, and allow you to die quickly and painlessly. They're even quite beautiful to look at.
Death: it happens to everyone (except, apparently, Keanu Reeves). But while the impoverished and lower-class people of the world die in the same ol' ways—cancer, heart disease, and so forth—the upper classes can choose hip and cool new ways to die. Now, there's an assisted-suicide pod so chic and so stylin' that peeps (young people still say peeps, right?) are calling it the "Tesla" of death... it's called... the Sarco!
Entrepreneur and author Andrew Horn shares his rules for becoming an assured conversationalist.
- To avoid basing action on external validation, you need to find your "authentic voice" and use it.
- Finding your voice requires asking the right questions of yourself.
- There are 3-5 questions that you would generally want to ask people you are talking to.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.