Is Tom Hayes a Digital Scab?
The Newspaper Guild has called on bloggers to form an 'electronic picket line' around the Huffington Post and boycott further posts until the HP changes its business model.
The Newspaper Guild asked Tom Hayes not to write this blog: "(It) called on bloggers to form an 'electronic picket line' around the Huffington Post and boycott further posts until the HP changes its business model. As the son of a union shop steward, I am pained, but I guess this makes me a digital scab. While I appreciate the angst and anxiety of those caught up in a fading economic system, I am astonished by the Newspaper Guild's profound lack of understanding about how the world works today. To my fellow writers, I promise that you will make a living at this craft: just not the way we used to."
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
A study on flies may hold the key to future addiction treatments.
- A new study suggests that drinking alcohol can affect how memories are stored away as good or bad.
- This may have drastic implications for how addiction is caused and how people recall intoxication.
- The findings may one day lead to a new form of treatment for those suffering from addiction.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.