Is There Meaning Without Judgment?
Frank Furedi takes to task Tariq Ramadan, "who wants to bury the Enlightenment virtue of toleration and replace it with recognition." Can we seek meaning without a capacity to judge?
Frank Furedi, author of the forthcoming "On Tolerance: A Defence of Moral Independence", takes to task Tariq Ramadan, who wants to bury the Enlightenment virtue of toleration and replace it with recognition. "Although Ramadan’s book is presented as a spiritual meditation on the problems of existence, it is actually an eclectic mixture of current intellectual prejudices and old-fashioned appeals to revelation and dogma. ...Ramadan’s rejection of tolerance is driven by hostility towards the idea of critical judgment. But how can a ‘Quest for Meaning’ proceed without a capacity to judge? ...‘Avoiding Meaning’ would perhaps have been a better title for this book."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.