Is There Meaning Without Judgment?
Frank Furedi takes to task Tariq Ramadan, "who wants to bury the Enlightenment virtue of toleration and replace it with recognition." Can we seek meaning without a capacity to judge?
Frank Furedi, author of the forthcoming "On Tolerance: A Defence of Moral Independence", takes to task Tariq Ramadan, who wants to bury the Enlightenment virtue of toleration and replace it with recognition. "Although Ramadan’s book is presented as a spiritual meditation on the problems of existence, it is actually an eclectic mixture of current intellectual prejudices and old-fashioned appeals to revelation and dogma. ...Ramadan’s rejection of tolerance is driven by hostility towards the idea of critical judgment. But how can a ‘Quest for Meaning’ proceed without a capacity to judge? ...‘Avoiding Meaning’ would perhaps have been a better title for this book."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.