Is the James Webb Telescope Bankrupting NASA?
The space telescope has worsened NASA's relationships with Congress, who felt duped by the exploding cost of the project. Still, the telescope may prove an amazing technical achievement.
What's the Latest Development?
The space telescope which could peek into the origins of the universe continues to be built, despite having caused a major rift with Congress last year when some of its members tried to cut the telescope's funding. Estimated to cost $500 million, the price now stands at $8.8 billion. But there have been groundbreaking technical achievements along the way: the telescope's mirrors are six times larger than Hubble's, so they must be folded up for the launch; a tennis-court sized shade will extend in space to keep the sensors cool enough to detect faint light.
What's the Big Idea?
If successful, the James Webb Telescope would demonstrate America's technical superiority in space. The telescope's main purposes will be to examine the chemical makeup of exoplanets' atmospheres (water would be an interesting find) and to detect the universe's first rays of light, which by now have shifted to the infrared spectrum and exist at the limits of the known universe. The danger of the project is that its costs may encourage Congress to give NASA funding for a flagship project once a decade, rather than once every few years.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.