Is the Era of Dark Matter Over?
Mysterious dark matter and dark energy may no longer be needed to explain the Universe's accelerating expansion, which may be caused by tension between matter and antimatter.
What's the Latest Development?
CERN physicist Dragan Hajdukovic has written a striking new paper than explains the universe's accelerating expansion in terms other than dark matter and dark energy. By combining the idea of a quantum vacuum with gravitational repulsion between matter and antimatter, Hajdukovic has arrived at an energy density consistent with the cosmological constant, the force which is causing the Universe's accelerating expansion. This new energy density is at least 30 orders of magnitude larger than the observed dark energy density.
What's the Big Idea?
An interesting difference between Hajdukovic's theory and the standard cosmological theory is that the latter predicts the expansion of the Universe is decreasing, which is at odds with astronomers' observations. Whether Hajdukovic is right about opposing gravitational forces between matter and antimatter could be determined by experiments at the CERN physics laboratory in Europe, which is where Hajdukovic incidentally works. CERN's AEGIS experiment is currently working to determine the properties of antihydrogen.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Bad outcomes get criticized as evidence of bad decisions, but that's not necessarily so.
- Here, poker pro Annie Duke desribes a simple thought experiment that separates decisions from outcomes.
- It is quite possible to make a very good decision that, due to external factors, results in a bad outcome.
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold '’Em
American geneticists take a stand against the misuse of their science by racists.
- The largest society of geneticists decries the distortion of ideas by racists.
- Science does not support the concept of race.
- Race is a social construct, explain the scientists.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.