Is Prostate Screening Unnecessary?
Having concluded that screening does not save lives, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force will recommend that healthy men forgo being screened with the familiar PSA blood test.
What's the Latest Development?
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is about to recommend that healthy men forgo being screened for prostate cancer with the familiar PSA blood test. Its recommendation is based on several human trials indicating that screening does not save lives. If a PSA level is high, for example, and the subsequent biopsy is positive for cancer, men who then receive treatment "do not have a lower death rate from prostate cancer than people who were never screened," says Marc Garnick, prostate cancer expert at Harvard's Medical School.
What's the Big Idea?
It is important to bear in mind that the Task Force's recommendation applies only to healthy men. Those with a history of prostate cancer in their family or African American men, who are at higher risk of contraction, should continue to be screened. "In the end, we urgently need a screening test that can distinguish well between prostate cancers that will become life-threatening and those that will not," says Garnick, "and we need treatments that come with fewer risks of severe side effects."
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.