Is Personality Genetic?
"Psychologists have spent decades searching for personality traits that exist independently of circumstance, but what if personality can’t be separated from context?"
"Psychologists have spent decades searching for personality traits that exist independently of circumstance, but what if personality can’t be separated from context?" Beginning with President Kennedy's initiative to screen applicants for the Peace Corps, scientists have searched for a way to estimate someone's personality. Failure after failure suggests that broad categories do not hold true and that how a person reacts to a given set of circumstances depends largely on—the circumstances. "Just look at Hamlet. ... He’s brooding and melancholy in one scene, and then violent and impulsive in the next. But this doesn’t seem strange to the audience. Instead, the inconsistency of Hamlet seems all too human."
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.