Is Fundamental Physics too Theory-led?
Is fundamental physics too heavy on theory? Jon Butterworth says it's a hugely worthwhile exercise, unless you are utterly uninterested in understanding how things work.
What's the Latest Development?
To some the Large Hadron Collider is a disproportionate investment of time, money and expertise. But Jon Butterworth says it is genuinely exploring new territory for whatever might be there. The energy frontier remains a frontier of knowledge.
What's the Big Idea?
While big ideas like supersymmetry or extra dimensions have not been disproved (yet), many many options for them have been closed off. "Many of us have our favourite theories, but in the end the data decide, and as an experimentalist I am seriously enjoying making myriad bright ideas face the music. We have waited a long time, theorising and guessing. Now, at last, we are able to look at some more of the answers."
- The minimum wage debate rages on
- The same study authors in 2017 famously argued that raising the wage to $15/hr. in Seattle and Tacoma actually cost jobs
- This study says something else, though study authors are quick to say they don't necessarily contradict each other. Ummm ...
Calling all big thinkers!
The 72-page report makes a case against modern policy proposals like "Medicare for All" and free college tuition.
- The report comes from the White House Council of Economic Advisers (CEA), which is run by professional economists.
- It attempts to make direct connections between modern-day progressives and past socialist figures like Stalin and Mao.
- The report comes in the wake of other explicitly anti-socialist sentiments expressed by the Trump administration.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.