Iran and the End of the Middle East
In the middle-to-long term, the Iranian state can't keep ignoring that democracy and human rights, not independence alone, are the measure of successful governance in the Arab world.
What's the Latest Development?
What we are witnessing is the end of the "Middle East" (which translates as the end of dependency on the "West"), and the second coming of independence, writes, Arshin Adib-Moghaddam. He also reminds readers that it was a U. S. naval officer who invented the region and called it the "Middle East".
What's the Big Idea?
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
Emojis might contain more emotional information than meets the eye.
- A new study shows that people who frequently used emojis in text messages with potential dates engaged in more sexual activity and had more contact with those dates.
- However, the study only shows an association; it didn't establish causality.
- The authors suggest that emojis might help to convey nuanced emotional information that's lacking in strictly text-based messaging.