Innovation Requires Idea Connectors
Companies need formalized processes for people with ideas to get to people with the influence to move on them, so the best new ideas actually reach those who can exploit them.
What's the Latest Development?
Combing the outside world for potentially useful innovation ideas is necessary but not enough. Managers must find ways to ensure the best new ideas reach those who can exploit them. Some do this via an “idea connector” who links up the “idea scouts”—people with well-developed knowledge and social networks outside their company but limited networks within it—to the R&D engineers and others who can develop suggestions.
What's the Big Idea?
Companies need formalized processes for people with ideas to get to people with the influence to move on them. Central to Google's success in this is VP Marissa Mayer, who holds three weekly sessions where she is accessible to all Google employees who want to pitch a new idea. She brainstorms with them before deciding whether to champion the ideas to company leaders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
A lazy buzz phrase – 'Is this the new normal?' – has been doing the rounds as extreme climate events have been piling up over the past year. To which the riposte should be: it's worse than that – we're on the road to even more frequent, more extreme events than we saw this year.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.