Innovation Requires Idea Connectors
Companies need formalized processes for people with ideas to get to people with the influence to move on them, so the best new ideas actually reach those who can exploit them.
What's the Latest Development?
Combing the outside world for potentially useful innovation ideas is necessary but not enough. Managers must find ways to ensure the best new ideas reach those who can exploit them. Some do this via an “idea connector” who links up the “idea scouts”—people with well-developed knowledge and social networks outside their company but limited networks within it—to the R&D engineers and others who can develop suggestions.
What's the Big Idea?
Companies need formalized processes for people with ideas to get to people with the influence to move on them. Central to Google's success in this is VP Marissa Mayer, who holds three weekly sessions where she is accessible to all Google employees who want to pitch a new idea. She brainstorms with them before deciding whether to champion the ideas to company leaders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
Many governments do not report, or misreport, the numbers of refugees who enter their country.
Controversial map names CEOs of 100 companies producing 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just 100 companies produce 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gases.
- This map lists their names and locations, and their CEOs.
- The climate crisis may be too complex for these 100 people to solve, but naming and shaming them is a good start.
Bernie Sanders reveals an even bigger plan than Elizabeth Warren, but does it go too far?
- Bernie Sanders has released a plan to forgive all the student debt in the country.
- It is even larger than the plan Elizabeth Warren put forward two months ago.
- The plan has drawn criticism for forgiving the debt of both the poor and those well off enough to pay their own debt.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.