In the Future, Web Piracy Will Be 3D
Thanks to 3D printers, digital Internet files will soon take on a new direction. They will include design specifications for 3D objects ranging from a pair of sneakers to a new car.
What's the Latest Development?
One day soon, supporters of SOPA may seem like people protecting the post office against the threat of email. That's because the future of digital downloading will move quickly beyond music, movies and software into the copying and reproduction of physical objects. The Pirate Bay, a bittorrent site based in Sweden, is currently preparing a new category of downloads that will include design specifications for everyday wares. The move anticipates the further development of 3D printing technology.
What's the Big Idea?
While the entertainment industry represents a lot of money, it is nothing compared to the world's manufacturing base, i.e. most of the world's economy. Should 3D technology advance substantially, we will be downloading and printing our own sneakers in 20 years, say engineers at the Pirate Bay. And if they have anything to say about it, the shoes will be free. In fact, everything will be free. "We’ll be able to print food for hungry people," they conclude. "We'll be able to share not only a recipe, but the full meal."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
- Climate change is no longer a financial problem, just a political one.
- Mitigating climate change by decarbonizing our economy would add trillions of dollars in new investments.
- Public attitudes toward climate change have shifted steadily in favor of action. Now it's up to elected leaders.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A plan to forgive almost a trillion dollars in debt would solve the student loan debt crisis, but can it work?
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren has just proposed a bold education reform plan that would forgive billions in student debt.
- The plan would forgive the debt held by more than 30 million Americans.
- The debt forgiveness program is one part of a larger program to make higher education more accessible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.