In Lima, A Billboard That Provides Water
The second-largest desert city also has exceptionally high levels of humidity, which the billboard converts into water that citizens can access via a simple spigot.
What's the Latest Development?
Researchers in Peru have come up with an ingenious solution to the challenge of providing drinking water to citizens living in the capital city of Lima: A billboard that uses a reverse osmosis system to "squeeze" humid air and deliver water through a spigot. The system works when air moves through, in order, "air filters, a vapor condenser, [and] a carbon filter" and ends up as water in a cold tank. The billboard is the brainchild of Universidad de Ingeniería & Tecnología (UTEC) researchers and ad agency Mayo Publicidad, and has so far produced approximately 25 gallons of fresh water a day.
What's the Big Idea?
With 7.6 million residents, Lima is the second-largest city in the world located in a desert, and although it experiences an extraordinary amount of humidity, it only gets about 1.1 inches of rain a year. Most of the drinking water comes from wells, and according to a man interviewed in a promotional video, it's not as good as the water produced by the billboard. "They could put this [billboard] in different places...if possible in each village, in each town," he says.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
- As a stand-up comedian, Pete Holmes knows how words can manipulate audiences — for good and bad.
- Words aren't just words. They stich together our social fabric, helping establish and maintain relationships.
- Holmes has a clever linguistic exercise meant to bring you closer to the people around you.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
Having these financial life skills can help you navigate challenging economic environments.
- Americans are swimming in increasingly higher amounts of debt, even the upper middle class.
- For many, this burden can be alleviated by becoming familiar with some straightforward financial concepts.
- Here's some essential financial life skills needed to ensure your economic wellbeing.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.