Human Psychology in Space
While space exploration was once a field for engineers and physicists, psychologists are playing an ever bigger role. A new book reviews how the human psyche copes in space.
What's the Latest Development?
The new book Psychology of Space Exploration examines the latest research into how the human psyche reacts to space travel. Recent experiments are encouraging. One that simulated a close-quarters tourist trip on a two-day orbit of the Earth found individuals exchanging phone numbers and agreeing to meet later for a reunion. Another experiment concludes that simply viewing Earth from space is "good for one's well being". A free electronic copy of the book is available from N.A.S.A.
What's the Big Idea?
Psychology of Space Exploration asks why the application of psychology to spaceflight has been "running 20 to 30 years behind most areas of medicine." The answer seems to lie in the culture of space agencies like N.A.S.A. which has placed all its emphasis on getting astronauts to and from space in good physical condition. But with the advance of technology and space tourism, more diverse groups of people will be looking to go to space for longer periods of time, making future psychological research imperative.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.