Human Psychology in Space
While space exploration was once a field for engineers and physicists, psychologists are playing an ever bigger role. A new book reviews how the human psyche copes in space.
What's the Latest Development?
The new book Psychology of Space Exploration examines the latest research into how the human psyche reacts to space travel. Recent experiments are encouraging. One that simulated a close-quarters tourist trip on a two-day orbit of the Earth found individuals exchanging phone numbers and agreeing to meet later for a reunion. Another experiment concludes that simply viewing Earth from space is "good for one's well being". A free electronic copy of the book is available from N.A.S.A.
What's the Big Idea?
Psychology of Space Exploration asks why the application of psychology to spaceflight has been "running 20 to 30 years behind most areas of medicine." The answer seems to lie in the culture of space agencies like N.A.S.A. which has placed all its emphasis on getting astronauts to and from space in good physical condition. But with the advance of technology and space tourism, more diverse groups of people will be looking to go to space for longer periods of time, making future psychological research imperative.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.