HTML5 Winning Over the Web
Steve Jobs was right again. A year and a half after Apple's late founder endorsed HTML5, the programming technique is quickly winning over programmers and website developers.
What's the Latest Development?
A new programming technique known as HTML5 is quickly winning over programmers and website developers because of its advantages in many areas, including online video and smartphone apps. HTML5 allows data to be stored on a user's computer or mobile device so that Web apps work without an Internet connection. And games, audio and video can be used without plugins like Flash. Adobe, the maker of Flash, has already announced it will no longer develop the technology, favoring HTML5 instead.
What's the Big Idea?
HTML5 will augment the web experience by offering better-looking graphics and making media more accessible. By sidestepping plugins, which do not work equally on all machines, HTML5 represents the potential for a universal Web software. Cadir Lee, chief technology officer at Zynga, "thinks HTML5 could eventually evolve to be an even broader technology movement, like that created with websites that could display almost any content. 'There is another wave of that revolution that is coming,' Mr. Lee says."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.