How Wearable Tech Will Create a Discovery-Based Economy
New wearable devices like Google's Project Glass and forthcoming smart watches will open community businesses by advertising directly to people who already like their products.
What's the Latest Development?
Google's Project Glass, in which all the functions of your smart phone are moved to a digital display in a pair of glasses, is perhaps the most high-profile piece of wearable technology. Apple has recently applied for similar patients, and industry insiders say the forthcoming smart watch will make accessing all your smartphone functions easier still. "And all of these wearable systems, from the smartphone up to Glass are designed to do one thing: deliver information to you while you're on the move. Or standing still, for that matter, because you're wearing them more and more of the time."
What's the Big Idea?
The sorts of novelties that seem obvious (and frivolous) thanks to wearable tech, such as reading emails while you brew coffee or posting tweets while you jog, are not actually why wearable devices will prove useful. "...the real benefit of wearable computing is a little like the real reason Groupon exists: It's not to sell you discount coupons, but to alert you to nearby products and services that you may not have encountered before, with a price-discount incentive, in the hope that you deliver more trade to that merchant in the future." Wearable computers will be the device that enables the new discovery economy.
Photo credit: Project Glass
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.