How to Think Yourself Better
Even though the magnets, crystals and ultra-dilute solutions of alternative medicines are, by themselves, completely useless, the placebo effect they induce in patients sometimes is not.
What's the Latest Development?
Dr. Edzard Ernst is the world's first professor of complementary medicine and while he is scheduled to retire soon, he will leave behind extensive research on the effects of alternative medicines. "According to his Guide to Complementary and Alternative Medicine, around 95% of the treatments he and his colleagues examined—in fields as diverse as acupuncture, herbal medicine, homeopathy and reflexology—are statistically indistinguishable from placebo treatments. In only 5% of cases was there either a clear benefit above and beyond a placebo."
What's the Big Idea?
Alternative medicine is a global industry worth an estimated $60 billion. Surrounding the industry is a passionate debate over its effectiveness at treating illness—its patrons swear by its methods while traditional doctors dismiss the practices as quackery. While Dr. Ernst believes alternative medicine produces positive results through the placebo effect, he maintains that traditional medicine can learn from how alternative medicine is practiced, namely the therapeutic value of the placebo effect. According to Harvard research, pain and depression are two disorders most susceptible to the placebo effect.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.