How to Patent Innovation
"The Supreme Court on Monday loosened the limits on the kinds of inventions that are eligible for patent protection," reports The Washington Post. Intangible goods are increasingly eligible.
"The Supreme Court on Monday loosened the limits on the kinds of inventions that are eligible for patent protection," reports The Washington Post. Intangible goods are increasingly eligible. Rejecting a lower court decision, the High Court said that "Limiting patents to machines or transformations would create uncertainty over the patentability of software, advanced diagnostic medical techniques and the manipulation of digital signals." To some, the decision was not as groundbreaking as expected because, "the justices stopped short of laying out categorical rules for what kinds of inventions should be patented."
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.