How to Learn a Language
What is the language switch? It's like feeling that unexpectedly, you have a button in your brain. When you push it you can get thoughts straight to your target language.
When you start learning a new language, common wisdom suggests that you have two possible goals. One is passing an exam. Maybe you took French while in High School with no other goal than getting a good grade, not giving a damn about the country, the language or the people. The other common goal is the dreaded F word, fluency. Forget common wisdom, there is something more important than the vague notion of fluency. The term fluency is very ambiguous, because there is no scale in measuring fluency.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.