How To Get A Room With A (Better) View
The Eye+ Window can display scenic views of any location and uses sensors to track your eye movements and adapt the image as needed, making it seem as though you're really looking through a window.
What's the Latest Development?
An Italian design company has come up with a solution to the problem of less-than-appealing window views: The Eye+ (or Eye Plus) Window "is a 46-inch LED HDTV that plays scenic videos of any view you desire: The Golden Gate Bridge, the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, a warm beach, outer space – you name it, you can have it." Even better, the screen comes with sensors that track a viewer's movements and adjusts the video's perspective, further creating the sensation of looking through a window. A smartphone app lets users change the scenery at any time.
What's the Big Idea?
Project manager Salvo Giardina came up with the idea for the Eye+ while daydreaming about "a magic window...I [first] worked to make Eye+ [display] a beautiful scene, then I worked to [add utilities like] TV and video surveillance system." The device is framed in wood and can be hung vertically or horizontally, and currently only works with European broadcast tuners. Giardina is still fine-tuning the product, and hopes to set up a crowdfunding project to bring it to market.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.