How to Find More Meaningful Work
A new start-up is offering a fast track to satisfying employment by connecting applicants with jobs that offer more emotional fulfillment than a big pay check, though that doesn't hurt.
What's the Latest Development?
The start-up ReWork is the first company that places job applicants directly with 'disruptive, world-changing organizations', including all manner of non-profits and triple-bottom-line businesses. When a select group of companies needs new employees, they send their listings to ReWork before opening the positions to the public. Having just opened in February, ReWork is currently helping 130 candidates across the country find a job that will fulfill their sense of self rather than just their bank account. Co-founder Nathaniel Koloc says most applicants feel something is missing in their current line of work.
What's the Big Idea?
Over the last five years, young Americans have become increasingly disillusioned with employment in a financial industry that is now widely seen to have less-than-noble motives when it comes to the well being of society—and even their clients. "Jobseekers today want a position that makes them feel good inside." Besides ReWork, sites like Idealist, Greenbiz and Green Job Search list careers for those seeking more meaningful employment. Tomorrow's successful companies must balance income, viability, meaning, and value of work.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.