How to Build the USS Enterprise and Fly It to Mars
An engineer has released incredibly detailed technical specifications for builing a real Star Ship Entreprise which could take us to Mars in 90 days and to the Moon in just three.
What's the Latest Development?
The technical specifications for a real Star Ship Enterprise, the space ship known from the TV show Star Trek, have been released by an engineer whose Web moniker is BTE Dan. While the show predicted the first Enterprise would be built by 2245, Dan believes it can be done within the next two decades. "This Enterprise would be built entirely in space, have a rotating gravity section inside of the saucer, and be similar in size with the same look as the USS Enterprise that we know from Star Trek." Rather than move at warp speed, the ship would be powered by a 1.5GW nuclear reactor.
What's the Big Idea?
With such an acceleration system, the ship could reach Mars in 90 days and the Moon in just three, dropping robotic probes all across the solar system. To simulate Earth's gravity, the saucer portion of the ship would be a .3 mile (536 meter) diameter rotating, magnetically-suspended gravity wheel. Dan has even spread proposed budget cuts over different government branches to fund what would be a significant 20-year project. Proposing that one new Enterprise-class ship be built every generation, Dan adds, "the only obstacles to us doing it are the limitations we place on our collective imagination."
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.