How to Be Chivalrous Now That Old Chivalry is Dead
While 21st century etiquette maintains that you should be nice to everyone, there are fuzzy spots that can be difficult to navigate due to past expectations for how men should treat women. The best thing to remember: modern chivalry isn't much more than common sense plus common courtesy.
Chivalry, or at least chivalry as we know it, has received a major facelift over the past few generations. What was once customary in times of courtly love seems antiquated and demeaning today. So how should clueless men who haven't spoken to a woman since Seneca Falls approach the awkward social situations where equality and gallantry seem to butt heads?
According to GQ's Lauren Bans, who has a piece currently being featured at CNN, it's not difficult to be polite to women without offending them or coming off as patronizing. The new chivalry is made up of two parts common courtesy, one part common sense. If you want to be polite, just be nice and pragmatic about it.
For example, Bans explains that you should hold the door open for everyone regardless of what they've got on their chest. Just don't force anybody to run a quick 40-yard dash as you stand there propping it. A pragmatic exception is getting into a cab with a woman:
"I know you think you're being nice by letting us get in first, but you know what? Sliding your butt across three seats of sticky black leather is not fun... If you would be so kind, please clumsily hurl your pants-protected body in first, and we will follow you gracefully, dignity intact."
Again: two parts common courtesy, one part common sense.
Throughout the article, Bans offers additional tips for respectful heterosexual dating. Briefly:
-Paying for dinner: the person who asks should foot the bill.
-Ordering for a female companion on a date: don't do it.
-Starting fights to protect her honor: only if you're eight-years-old.
The common theme here is that old chivalry operated from an idea that women needed men to protect them from the scourges of pretty much everything. And that's just not the case in our progressive 21st century world. While many women like to feel safe with a man, no woman wants to be treated like she's being babysat.
Read the whole article (linked below) and let us know what you think. Ladies, are there any "chivalrous" behaviors that really grind your gears?
Read more at CNN
Photo credit: Wolfgang Zwanzger / Shutterstock
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.