How to Be a Winning Freelancer
If you're a "true freelancer," someone who freelances because they can't stand to work any other way, you must honor your "true freelancer" nature and do it your own way.
What's the Latest Development?
Freelance writer and editor Susannah Beslin does things her own way and she thinks you, prospective freelancer, should find your own path, too. Among the unsatisfying advice she found on the Internet is that the successful freelancer must be disciplined, which includes getting dressed for work in the morning and setting regular working hours. But Beslin didn't become a freelancer just to pretend she isn't; she gets dressed for work if she feels like it and if she feels like taking a walk instead, she doesn't feel guilty about it.
What's the Big Idea?
Beslin offers some more frank advice to those who want to strike out on their own and be self-employed. You've got to hustle: "For those who find self-promotion agonizing, who can’t stand the idea of negotiating payment on a regular basis, who aren’t sure if they have what it takes so maybe they should go back to that old job they hated, it’s best to avoid freelancing altogether." Also, play dirty: "This is capitalism, not a self-help party. Capitalism is not about holding hands, and sharing your feelings, and hugs. It’s about dogs who eat other dogs."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.