How Many Fish in the Sea?
The extent to which massive growth in commercial fishing is depleting the sea's biodiversity has become source of a heated debate within the world of marine fisheries science.
Amid claims that current commercial ocean fishing practices are unsustainable because there are no more places left to fish, global demand for seafood nevertheless remains high and the harvesting of wild fish from the oceans is a huge business. There is no argument the industry's massive growth has vastly affected ocean ecosystems, but the extent to which this disruption has depleted and continues to deplete the sea's biodiversity has become source of a heated debate within the world of marine fisheries science. What is the best way to measure the ecological footprint of commercial fishing?
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.