How Countries Rank in Food Security
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), food production will need to increase at least 50 percent in order to meet the demand of a vastly growing world population.
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What´s the Latest Development?
In the rich countries like America, people have access to nearly twice the amount of calories than in a country such as The Democratic Republic of Congo—where people are getting 43 percent below the calorie requirement. "The poorest, such as Haiti and Burundi, on average have 100 calories less than minimum." According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, food security in 105 countries—when it comes to not only availability and affordability, but safety and quality of food supplies—it does not look good. Although poorer countries will be hit the hardest, the richer nations should be worried as well. “Many countries have access to food generally, but not good food, which leads to struggles with obesity and relatively poor diets.”
What´s the Big Idea?
With the extreme climate changes, the spike in food and oil prices, change in people´s diets and “competing demands on crops and land, not to mention the rise in global population”— food security for countries remains a hot button issue. However, “there is nothing inevitable about hunger: shortages and shocks can be planned for, and smoothed out.” While the rich and developed countries like America might seem to be in the clear, they will have their share of worries. However, the developing countries such as Nigeria, Rwanda, and Ethiopia are experiencing an “increased ability to do something about the problem.”
The ability to speak clearly, succinctly, and powerfully is easier than you think
The ability to communicate effectively can make or break a person's assessment of your intelligence, competence, and authenticity.
The next gold rush might take place in our sewers.
- Even though we think of it as exceedingly rare, gold can be found all around us.
- The trouble is, most of the gold is hard to get at; its too diluted in our waste or ocean waters to effectively extract.
- This new technique quickly, easily, and reliably extracts gold from most liquids.
Facing mounting pressure from the public and government agencies, the e-cigarette maker announced major changes to its business model on Tuesday.
- Juul makes flavored e-cigarettes and currently dominates the vaping industry, with 70% of the market share.
- The FDA is planning to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes in gas stations and convenient stores this week.
- Some have called teenage vaping an epidemic. Data from 2018 show that about 20% of high school students had used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.