High Food Prices to Come
High food prices might be considered a good thing from the standpoint of overall global economic efficiency, says Richard Posner on the current increase in global food prices.
The increased food prices are calamitous for very poor countries, and for poor people in other countries (in the absence of subsidy, such as the U.S. food-stamp program), but the world as a whole can take them in stride because they are self-correcting. High prices reduce demand and thus move output down the supply curve, resulting in a new, lower-price equilibrium. High food prices might even be considered a good thing from the standpoint of overall global economic efficiency. ... Of course the future is uncertain, and food prices famously volatile. Nevertheless the probability of continued increases in food prices cannot be reckoned slight.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.