Help Your Brain Learn Better
What if all the study habits you were taught in school are wrong? Psychologists now say not to take notes, to stop studying for extended periods and to study in many different places.
What's the Latest Development?
Understanding how the brain works will give you insight into how we learn and how we can use our knowledge of the brain to help us learn better. Do not try to master one thing at a time, says UCLA psychologist Robert Bjork. Instead, mixing a variety of information into your lessons will give each fixed point more context, a powerful tool when it comes to memory retrieval. Also, take long breaks between study sessions. The more energy you exert in pulling up information to the present, the more likely you are to remember it.
What's the Big Idea?
Misconceptions about how the brain works have helped to develop bad learning habits among generations of students, young and old. Even taking notes during a lecture, a practice so ingrained it seems impossible to advise against, will only help so much. It is better to take notes after class, says Bjork, forcing your brain to try harder to remember information. Instead of just trying to remember information, train your mind how to remember information better by focusing on the retrieval process of memory.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.