Hello, Silicon Prairie. Nice Knowing You, Valley & Alley.
With Silicon Alley and Silicon Valley well-established, Jeff Slobotski believes that cities like Omaha, Des Moines and Kansas City may form the backbone of a new generation of tech start ups.
What's the Latest Development?
Entrepreneur Jeff Slobotski is hard at work making America's Great Plains the next region of technological innovation. With Silicon Alley and Silicon Valley well-established, Slobotski believes that cities like Omaha, Des Moines and Kansas City may form the backbone of a new generation of tech start ups. "What has made Silicon Valley, New York, Boston, Austin or Boulder different are not the exact same things that will make the Omaha, Des Moines and the Kansas City regions successful. If we want to change American cities, we need to start by increasing the connections in our own backyards."
What's the Big Idea?
Slobotski offers some tips for bringing together your community and concentrating resources in a way that will help entrepreneurs, investors, mentors and stakeholders: "One of the first steps we identified as being pivotal to developing and consistently building our community is to identify a community champion... If something is not being done, then it falls upon you to create the change you want to see. ... The next step in building a community is to have a distribution channel to share information through events, profiles or stories. For us this was, and continues to be, the Silicon Prairie News website."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.