Hand-Cranked Tablet Computer
At this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, more than 50 new tablet computers will be introduced, but only one is designed to bring education to the world's poorest countries.
What's the Latest Development?
Only one tablet computer at this year's Consumer Electronics Show is designed to bring literacy to the world's poor, and to cope with electricity shortages, it is powered by a hand crank. The tablet can run a Linux interface or Google's Android and has a solar powered case to charge the battery. "Each hour the case spends in full sun can deposit enough energy for two hours of tablet use into the case's battery." The tablet will not be massed produce; its price will depend on how many orders are received.
What's the Big Idea?
The tablet was developed by the creators of the One Laptop Per Child initiative which seeks to bring education to the underdeveloped world through inexpensive technology. In 2008, the company launched its XO laptop (pictured), which is also powered by a hand crank, and roughly two million have been shipped. The initiative relies on countries who are active about bringing new education technology to their citizens. The tablet's specifications, length of battery life and screen display, will depend on what individual countries want.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.