Gruesome Images Stop Smokers
In numerous health surveys around the world many smokers report that graphic images motivate them to quit. Non-smokers say they feel deterred from ever picking up a pack.
What's the Latest Development?
The F.D.A. has brought new health warnings to packs of cigarettes for the first time in 25 years. "The nine pictures that must appear on all adverts and cigarette packages sold in the U.S. by September 2011 include a cancerous mouth with lesions and rotting teeth, a man smoking through a tracheotomy hole and a diseased lung. ... 'It's been a long time in coming, says Roy Herbst of Yale University and chair of the American Association for Cancer Research's Task Force on Tobacco and Cancer. 'We hope they will dissuade people from buying and using cigarettes.'"
What's the Big Idea?
While there are mixed results as to the deterrent effect of gruesome images on packs of cigarettes, the latest research seems to support the government's new photographic health warnings. "According to Ellen Peters of Ohio State University, who conducted a 2007 study that found Canada's morbid warning pictures would be effective in the U.S. too, the message is clear. 'Graphic warning labels encourage negative emotional reactions to cigarettes and those emotions become associated with smoking cues,' she says."
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.