Growing America's Economy
"What follows is a partial agenda to raise economic growth and reduce the long run fiscal deficit." Nobel Laureate Gary Becker has an economic plan for the U.S.
Voters did give President Obama a real "shellacking" (to use his words), as Republicans gained control of the House of Representatives and the governorships of most states, and made large gains in the Senate. The common expectation is that this division will produce a political stalemate, as both parties position themselves for the presidential election in 2012. Yet, the American people need an agenda to raise the growth rate of the American economy, and cut sharply actual and future fiscal deficits. If these happen, not only would unemployment and other short-term problems would be taken care of, but also optimism would return about the longer-term prospects of the United States.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
On Thursday, New Zealand moved to ban an array of semi-automatic guns and firearms components following a mass shooting that killed 50 people.
- Gun control supporters are pointing to the ban as an example of swift, decisive action that the U.S. desperately needs.
- Others note the inherent differences between the two nations, arguing that it is a good thing that it is relatively hard to pass such legislation in such a short timeframe.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.