Green Needs More R & D
Climate change expert Bjorn Lomborg says carbon pricing is a "broken" scheme and the world must instead invest heavily in R & D to make green energy cheaper than fossil fuels.
Professor Bjorn Lomborg is director of the Denmark-based Copenhagen Consensus Centre. "'Trying to make fossil fuels so expensive that nobody wants them is just never going to succeed,' Professor Lomborg said. 'It's politically impossible and it's economically a bad idea. That's why, instead of making fossil fuels so expensive nobody wants them, we need to make green energy so cheap everyone wants it.' He said the cost curves of all green energy options had been coming down over the past 30 years, creating a huge opportunity."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.