G.P.S. Is Rotting Your Brain
As reassuring as that G.P.S. voice can be, you may want to turn it off next time you're trying to find your way. It may be dumbing down a region of your brain.
Veronique Bohbot, an assistant professor of psychiatry, and colleagues at McGill Univeristy released three studies on the effect G.P.S. has on the human brain. Their results showed that avid G.P.S. users have a higher risk of suffering from memory and spatial orientation problems. The research focused on how humans navigate. ... The study found that younger respondents relied more on the spatial navigation technique to find their way around a virtual maze. Older participants favored the G.P.S.-like stimulus-response method.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.