Google on the Future of TV
At the year's biggest annual television conference, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt was invited as the keynote speaker. He explained his vision for a hybrid TV-Internet industry of the future.
What's the Latest Development?
In a break with tradition, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt was invited to be the keynote speaker at the year's biggest annual television conference, the Edinburgh International Television Festival. Known as the MacTaggart Lecture, the festival's keynote speech is typically given by an industry veteran, not someone who represents the post-TV era. "Even before Google's executive chairman had taken to the stage, there were mutterings from festival veterans that his would be the most anodyne MacTaggart ever, that he was miscast as keynote speaker, that this was tech tokenism taken a step too far."
What's the Big Idea?
While admonishing those who sought to block the development of an online TV project, Schmidt's speech emphasized areas where television and the Internet might benefit each other in the future. Since Google acquired YouTube, numerous television companies have sued to keep their content from the online platform. Since then, Schmidt says about Google: "We've matured in attitude and technologically, and you understand there's a much larger audience available to you as a result of these new digital tools." His speech generally opposed industry regulation.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.