Goodbye to American Global leadership
Once upon a time it was Uncle Sam who came to the rescue of other nations but eyes are on Beijing to save Europe. America is not 'over' but let's acknowledge its heyday has passed.
What's the Latest Development?
History and international relations professor Andrew J. Bacevich reflects on where once Uncle Sam would have stepped in to save a nation or continent in distress, these days it's Beijing that's expected to save Europe’s bacon. The crucial issue here is the shifting expectations underlying the moment. Wasn't Washington meant to be Europe’s savior in perpetuity?
What's the the Big Idea?
Bacevich says America is not “over,” but today's international order bears no more than a passing resemblance to that which existed in the heyday of American power. Everyone else on the planet understands this and it's time Americans, starting with politicians, do, too, he says. "Should they refuse, a painful comeuppance awaits."
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.