Going Off the Grid
"What constitutes status and sex appeal in the land of the eternally wireless?" Ellen Ruppel Shell thinks it may be the ability to take time away from technology-enabled distractions.
"What constitutes status and -- being bold here -- sex appeal in the land of the eternally wireless?" asks Ellen Ruppel Shell. "Possible answer: the opportunity to go through an entire morning, train ride, even day, with no technology-enabled distractions at all! ... Imagine going long, luxurious minutes, hours, days not responding to emails, not even LOOKING at emails. Imagine being willing and able to turn your back on all that...and not disappearing, or fearing that you will."
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.