Globalization Is Overrated (or Why We Love Nation-States)
With revolutions in transport and communication, many predicted the nation-state would fade into irrelevance behind supranational organizations and multinational corporations. Wrong.
What's the Latest Development?
Despite Europe's continent-wide currency crisis, a single country (Germany) is at the helm. It's just the latest proof that globalization has failed to make the nation-state irrelevant. In the aftermath of the financial crisis, who bailed out the banks? Who enacted monetary policy, rewrote regulatory reform, funded social safety nets and still receives the blame for everything? National governments, that's who! All this despite predictions that transport and communication revolutions would bring supranational organizations and multinational corporations to power.
What's the Big Idea?
Despite this renewed importance of national governments, their reputation remains in tatters. Many economists view governments as undue barriers to international trade. But who would regulate the market in their absence? Democratically unaccountable supranational organizations, it seems. New ethicists also object to the nation-state, preferring global citizens over nationalistic ones. Yet surveys show people identify more strongly with their nation than with their local community, let alone the global one.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.