Gilt or War Guilt?
“Sell your islands, you bankrupt Greeks. And sell the Acropolis too!” may not have been an accurate quotation of German sentiment, but there was some truth to it, writes Slate.
"Sell your islands, you bankrupt Greeks. And sell the Acropolis too!" may not have been an accurate quotation of German sentiment, but there was some truth to it, writes Slate. Anne Applebaum writes that while tabloid newspaper Bild may have taken the German politician’s remarks out of context, the article did "cut to the essence of the story" which is that Germany is fed up with bailing out the rest of Europe. She writes that if Germans felt less guilty about the Second World War they wouldn’t be making economic sacrifices to help fellow Eurozone countries. She says: "With an unerringly poor sense of timing, the Greeks have, in response, chosen precisely this moment to flaunt their own set of resentments. One Greek minister complained to the BBC that the Nazis ‘took away the Greek gold that was in the Bank of Greece, they took away the Greek money and they never gave it back.’ The mayor of Athens has demanded 70 billion euros for the ruins the Nazis left behind after the war. The Greek consumer organization, not exactly thankful for the German bailout or Europe's demands for Greek budget cuts, has called for a boycott of German products. Officially, the Germans have described these comments as ‘not helpful.’ Unofficially, the German press is foaming at the mouth, for once reflecting accurately the views of both German politicians and German voters."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.