Carl Varjabedian, a photographic maverick, captures the surreal beauty of the American West in a manner worthy of tall tales and American dreams, writes NPR.
"Craig Varjabedian's photographs of the American West would be the perfect illustrations to a Cormac McCarthy book," writes NPR. "They have a surreal beauty and poetic emptiness that border on the fictional. It's as if this isn't the real West, but the West of tall tales and American dreams. It's nice to think that there are still photographic mavericks out there, lugging around equipment of yore and carefully, slowly composing each frame. Varjabedian uses a large-format view camera, which heightens the romantic quality of his work. The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum thought so, too; it recently recognized his sixth and newest book, Ghost Ranch and the Faraway Nearby, with the Western Heritage Award for ‘Outstanding Photography Book’ of 2009. An exhibition of the photos was recently at the Albuquerque Museum of Art and will continue to travel nationally to select museums. The series was made on a vast stretch of territory called Ghost Ranch, located 13 miles northwest of Abiquiu, N.M. The land has a long history and has seen dinosaurs, Pueblo American Indians, the Navajo and Apache, colonial Spanish ranchers, American wranglers and the Presbyterian Church."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.